When it comes to shipping and handling for your business, there are a number of things you must consider. Many people think: what’s so complicated about putting items in a box and then shipping it out? Well, there are a number of factors that come into play, because not only do you want to make sure you are saving the most amount of money, but you also have to think about the safety of the item inside and the experience when the recipient receives the package – you also don’t really want them to have a hard time opening the package. Here are five things to consider when purchasing shipping supplies for your business.
- Do I need additional supplies? Sure, you probably only need boxes and some tape, but there is a good chance that your products are not shaped perfectly like a box – there is a good chance that your products have an irregular shape that may make it slightly more difficult to ship them. So, you’ll need boxes, tape and also other materials, like packing peanuts and filler. When looking for filler, though, make sure that you check the weight.
- What is the weight? When you are purchasing boxes and other packing materials, you want to make sure that you don’t purchase boxes that are too heavy for the materials you are shipping. If you are shipping lightweight materials, you probably only need lightweight boxes. With heavier boxes, you could be looking at more expensive shipping rates, which could ultimately reflect negatively, especially when customers are looking for better deals and rates. If you are a small online retailer, this is incredibly important, because you don’t want to lose customers.
- Are the items you are shipping delicate? If the items that you are shipping are delicate, you may need stronger materials. If this the case, you need to invest in shipping materials that can better protect the items you are shipping. For instance, if you are shipping delicate materials, like porcelain or glass, you will most likely need foam padding and more. If you are shipping items that can be easily ripped, you need to buy boards and other insulating materials – the last thing you want is for someone to open the package with a pair of scissors or keys and accidentally rip the product.
- Are you shipping a specific kind of product that needs customized materials? If you are shipping items that need special packaging, like military supplies, you need a specialized shipping materials retailer, like Royco Packaging. Royco Packaging makes and sells unique packaging supplies for military contractors. When it comes to shipping a high priority product, you need a customized shipping supplies retailer.
- How much do I need. If you are a high volume retailer, you want to make sure that you are fully stocked. The last thing you want is to run out of boxes and supplies – especially around the holidays. So, you want to make sure that you devise a plan that includes how many supplies you’ll need. Not only that, but you also want to make sure you have a re-stocking plan set up. Being late on orders can be bad for business.