For a brick and mortar shop, signage is everything. If you don’t have a sign that yells out that you are where you are, you may not get any traffic to your business. This is especially the case if you are located down a beaten path and not quite on the main drag. If you think about it, sign design may mean the difference between life and death for your business. When it comes down to it, designing a sign is relatively easy. However, you need to be sure that you get creative. Not only will you need your business name, but you may also need your logo and perhaps your tag line. Your tag line is a little bit like the summation of everything your business does. Here is how to design a sign for your business.
- First, you want to get out a pad of paper and start drawing out some ideas. You won’t necessarily be able to get anywhere if you don’t have some kind of visual representation. You may even have to pay more money if you don’t have some kind of blueprint. You don’t need to be a master draftsperson, but you do need to have some basic line concepts.
- Get creative with where you put the sign – for instance, Stan’s Sign Design will place your business’ sign on your company vehicles. Placing the sign on your company vehicles will give your business a lot of local exposure. You may also want to think of a few other creative places to install your sign for maximum visibility.
- Make sure that you find a fabricator for your flagship’s sign – a fabricator will be able to build out your sign based on the size and dimensions. Moreover, you will work with them to decide on a material. If your retail location has specific requirements, you may want to find out what those are. If you are located in a mall or strip mall, you may not be able to use certain materials.
- Decide on a size – if you are on a main drag, you may not want a big sign that yells in peoples’ faces. Indeed, you’ll want a sign that is big enough to see from the sidewalk and the street. If your business is a little bit off the beaten path, you may want to design a bigger sign that is a little more noticeable. Indeed, if your business is off a freeway, you may want a sign that is visible from the freeway.
- Think about adding lights – if your business is open after dark, you may want to think about adding lights to your sign. Indeed, lights will help your business stay lit and noticeable at night, which will help gain you customers and let them know that you are open for business. Moreover, lights will help give your business a cool aesthetic at night, especially if you use neon. In the end, you don’t want to forget about lights when you are designing your sign.