If you own a business, it’s important that you always try to improve and increase efficiency. One of the best ways that you can increase efficiency is by having a business that is more energy efficient. To some this means using energy efficient lightbulbs, but there are a number of ways that you can run a more green business, which is important both financially and environmentally. If you’re not sure where to start, here are five ways to make your workplace more environmentally-friendly.
- Create a culture of recycling. It’s important that you inform all of your employees about proper recycling and keep plenty of recycling bins around the office. You can even find posters online that will show you exactly what types of products are and aren’t recyclable within your municipality. This way there will be no questions as to what should go in the blue bin and what should go in the black bin.
- Put a ban on plastic water bottles. Plastic water bottles contribute more to ocean pollution than just about any other product. In fact, there are entire islands the size of Texas floating in the oceans that are comprised almost completely of plastic water bottles. These low grade plastics break down into tiny beads over time that are mistaken for polyps by small fish and can take out whole scores of sea life. Providing water coolers and reusable plastic cups will limit your environmental impact tremendously, and it’s a pretty easy switch to make.
- Buy products that are made from recycled goods. These days, there are several brands that sell paper and plastic products, which are made from recycled materials. These products function just as well as all of the other products on the market, only they are a lot better for the environment. Not only do they make use of materials that would have otherwise been sent to the landfill, but when they do eventually end up in a landfill, they break down and biodegrade much more easily.
- Buy cleaning products that are free of toxic chemicals. Ironically, the very products that we often use to clean our spaces are extremely toxic and contribute greatly to the contamination of our air and water sources. Fortunately, though, there are many brands that sell cleaning products which are made from all-natural, toxin-free ingredients. You can easily make the switch from some of the more common cleaning product brands, to those which are much safer and friendly to the environment.
- Have your business inspected for toxic microbial waste. If you work with noxious chemicals or other hazardous materials, there’s a good chance that you have toxic microbial waste eating away at your building or your equipment. It could also be contaminating your waste water systems and causing further harm within your community. It may be a good idea to have an inspection performed by Microbial Insights Inc. to be sure that you are clean and safe.